Frequently Answered Questions
Web 1.2 and a half is a website...
* created by an amateur (non-professional) computer geek / artist / digital musician / creative person / etc / etc / etc.
* without a content management system, but seriously needing one.
* coded in a scripting language (ie PHP) without using (as a professional programmer would) any external libraries to assist with the mundane aspects of it's workings.
* that does not make any money.
* slightly rough at the edges but with stars in it's eyes.
* requiring SSH login access for it's maintenance (due to a lack of CMS).
* which in economic terms is loosing money, dead, pointles, worthless.
* that emulates some of the things Web 2.0 websites wrongly claim as their own, but in a rather more simplified and ham-fisted way.
* with a certain lack of mass appeal.
* hand coded without the use of visual page editors and without the use of design templates - plain text is it's lifeblood.
* free from the clutter of advertisements.
* true to the allegience of its owner to operating in terms outside of the mass-media.
* which cares about dial-up internet users.
* which despite praising Open Source Software, does not make it's source code open for fear of security risks - and nobody would be interested anyway (this is a fair assumption to make).
* unashamed to reinvent the wheel.
* mostly ignoring the most popular trends.
* proud to be behind the times, maybe.
* that accepts it's limits are entirely at the mercy of the technical ability of it's author and the author's stubborness to use other peoples design / templates / libraries.
* written by an author who never quite understands what she or he is saying and frequently changes his or her mind, ie an author who is fickle.
* whose author seeks freedom within creativity.
* called Home.
Web 1.2 and a Half seeks to trumpet the work of the amateur, while seeking to destroy the stigma of amateurism.
The author of a Web 1.2 and a Half website, is a reasonably accomplished computer geek. He or she will know fairly well atleast two programming languages and will steadfastly stick with "Free as in Freedom" Open Source software.
The author's interest in computers is sufficient to stand alongside the interests which the Web 1.2 and a Half website was originally intended to show. The author is very unlikely to be professional in (ie making a living from) any of the areas of her or his interests.
Web 1.2 and a Half is for people who value their independance over common sense. For people who value building something up through their own endeavours and avoiding ready made third party sollutions, and to seek as far as possible to do this without compromise*.